Out with the old; in with the new. Ushering in a new year signals new trends. From shopping the home decor shows and stores, some clear trends for 2020 have emerged.
Here’s a list of 10 hot 2020 home decor trends.
• Faux fur and faux skin. From faux fur to shagreen, texture and color have been spotted on items from benches to consoles.
• Classic patterns. A number of patterns and designs are timeless. Many are being mixed together as part of a single look.
• Brass. Brass made a comeback roughly a decade ago and continues to be the go-to luxury finish in home decor.
• Industrial style finishes. From lighting to furniture, industrial-inspired pieces are more popular than ever.
• Wood crafted furniture. These days, furniture handcrafted by an artist or artisan is desirable, especially for those looking for one-of-a-kind or statement furniture.
• Benches and ottomans. These portable decor pieces can be transitioned in and out and moved from room to room.
• Metal. From smooth to hammered, metal furniture works well for those looking for an interesting, industrial vibe.
• Modular furniture. Instead of oversized individual pieces, the trend for 2020 is toward smaller pieces that can be placed or fit together, similar to creating a large puzzle.
• Nesting tables. These tables work well for those looking for high design and flexibility.
• Bold color and graphics. From accent walls to artwork, bold and bright is in; muted, subtle design is out.
By Cathy Hobbs, Tribune News Service.