When the weather is warm, nothing can revitalize and rejuvenate a space quite like florals. And the beauty is they don’t necessarily have to be fresh. One longtime secret of decorators is to use floral arrangements as accessories. Similar to decorative elements such as sculptural pieces, vases or toss pillows, the right floral arrangement can add an elevated aesthetic and help set a mood, as well as add a much-needed punch of color.
Floral arrangements come in all shapes and sizes and can be used in locations throughout the home from living rooms to kitchens and even bathrooms. When incorporating floral arrangements into your home this spring, here are my top 10 tips to keep in mind.
1. Don’t overdo it. Too many floral arrangements can have a negative effect and overpower a space.
2. Look for variety. Try to mix and match your arrangements, as opposed to displaying just one color or type of arrangement.
3. Consider succulents. Succulents are a great and modern choice.
4. Use floral arrangements in unexpected places. Bathrooms, for example, are often discarded areas.
5. Embrace color. Color is your friend when it comes to florals and can be used to add interest to your home.
6. Avoid fillers. Fillers often create a less luxurious feel.
7. Look for silk. If you are considering purchasing artificial arrangements, silk is still the standard and comes in various levels of quality.
8. Take care of your arrangements. Even artificial arrangements need to be maintained – avoid stains, dust and look out for excessive signs of wear and tear.
9. Look for interesting vases or containers. What you place your floral arrangement in is almost as important as your floral selection.
10. Choose arrangements of the appropriate size and scale. If you are looking to make an impact on a large surface such as a coffee table or dining table, it is best to choose an arrangement that will provide for big visual impact. Conversely if you are looking to make a statement in a smaller space such as a bathroom, a smaller arrangement may be more appropriate.
Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally known interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at email@example.com, or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.
By Cathy Hobbs, Tribune News Service (TNS)